In 2013 Amsterdam celebrates the 400 year anniversary of the Amsterdam canal houses.
The impressive mansions along the Amsterdam canals were built during Amsterdam Golden Age.
During these prosperous times, the ‘new rich’ merchant families built their own town palace, a canal house that would mirror their financial and societal success in the city. Their stories are told in the 4 Canal House Museums in Amsterdam.
Amsterdam expansion: the canal ring
From 1580 to the end of the 17th century, Amsterdam grew from a small town of 30.000 people into a large international city of 160.000 inhabitants.
Thanks to the financial success of Amsterdam, a new class of wealthy merchants arose.
The merchants made a fortune buying and selling grains and wood, investing in the VOC, who imported exotic spices from far East and trading slaves with the Americas.
Amsterdam had become a major trade portal in the world.
Housing the rich merchant families
To house the rich merchant families and the many immigrants who came to find their fortune in booming Amsterdam, the city needed to expand.
Between 1613 and 1665, 3 main canals were dug: Herengracht, Keizersgracht and Prinsengracht.
Families who had enough money to afford a plot of land along one of the canal rings built their own canal house.
Herengracht was the most expensive canal to acquire a plot of land. Up to this day, the Herengracht is the canal where the most affluent families live and companies are housed.
Most of the Amsterdam canal houses that are open to visitors do not have many original decorations. Most of the items, painted wall and ceiling panels, chandeliers, paintings and furniture in these Amsterdam canal house museums have actually come from other canal houses or museums and have been placed in the museum.
There are 5 canal house museums in Amsterdam. Below is a list of these museums.
A list of special exhibitions in 2013 organised to celebrate Amsterdam 400 years of canals follows after the list.
1. Cromhout Canal Houses (Biblical Museum)
The Amsterdam Biblical Museum is housed in two of 4 very famous Amsterdam canal houses: the Cromhout Canal Houses. The 4 Cromhout Houses are located in a row on Herengracht (364 to 370).
The houses are named after Jacob Cromhout, a wealthy and powerful Amsterdam merchant who had bought the 4 plots next to each other and built 4 identical houses (in around 1660). This wasn’t uncommon. Usually, the owner would live in one or two of these houses and make an income by renting out the other houses.
The Cromhout houses are built in the style of Dutch Classicism. Philip Vingboons is the architect. Vingboons is famous for creating the ‘neck gable’, which you can see on the Cromhout houses façades. This type of gable became rather fashionable and was later copied on many other Amsterdam canal houses.
Dutch Classicism, a strict and formal style in art and architecture, became popular after 1625, thereby replacing the somewhat ‘loose’ Dutch Renaissance.
The small group of rich merchants who ruled Amsterdam and the world, were very class-concious and rather posh. They felt this new formal style suited their elitist lifestyle on the grand Amsterdam canals.
In Dutch classicism, less ornaments were used, there was a preference for natural sandstone, pillars were common.
Another famous example of Amsterdam Dutch classicism is the Town Hall, now Royal Palace on Dam Square, built by Jacob van Campen.
The Biblical Museum is located on Herengracht 366 – 368.
The museum is closed on Monday. Entrance is €8 for adults.
2. Museum Geelvinck-Hinlopen
The well kept interior of Museum Geelvinck-Hinlopen on Herengracht 633 shows the extraordinary wealth and taste of its owners of this Amsterdam canal house: Albert Geelvinck and his wife, Sara Hinlopen.
The Geelvinck family made their fortune working for and trading in the VOC, importing spices from the East Indies. They also invested in the WIC, the Dutch company responsible for the Amsterdam slave trade between Africa and the Americas.
In 1687, the newly married couple bought the canal house on Herengracht and started decorating it lushfully.
The house was built on two plots. It was normal to use one part of the house to entertain guests (only on invitation!) and do business, while the other side of the house would be used for private retreat.
The kitchen and staff quarters would be in the basement, easily accessed by a second front door.
In the back of the house lies the secret gem of the Geelvink-Hinlopen canal house: an enormous garden. The garden runs all the way to the coach house, located on the next canal: Keizersgracht.
Just as you’d imagine, the Geelvinck-Hinlopen canal house comes with a fancy library, a drawing room, a dining room and a ‘Chinese room’, where the lady of the house would receive her lady friends for tea and discuss the latest town gossip.
Only the wooden floor panels are still original 17th century. The rest of the decoration is from the 18th and 19th century.
To this day, small chamber concerts are held in the basement of the museum and the historic pianoforte instruments are played.
Entrance to the Museum Geelvinck-Hinlopen is at the coach house on Keizersgracht 633.
The Museum Geelvinck-Hinlopen is closed on Tuesday and costs €8 for adults.
There are chamber concerts every Sunday, starting at 4.45 pm.
3. Canal House Museum
The Amsterdam Canal House Museum is located on Herengracht 368. The museum is rather new, but located in an original canal house.
Though the canal house was originally built in 1665, the mansion has seen so many chances throughout time, that hardly any original features are left from those first years. Each of the inhabitants felt it necessary to adjust the interior to fit in with the fashion of the era.
The rich paintings and plasterwork on the ground floor date back to the 18th century. Nice is also the painted wall paper from 1776, signed by its maker, portraying Dutch landscape.
The list of owners of the house includes many powerful people. One of them was banker Jan Willink. Willink famously helped the Americans finance the their war of independence by loaning millions to John Adams, who later became the president of the United States.
The exhibition of Museum Canal House is entirely dedicated to the history of the Amsterdam canal houses in a broader sense. In 7 different rooms and with the help of digital, multimedia presentations, you’ll learn everything about the Amsterdam canal ring.
The Canal House Museum (Het Grachtenhuis) is located on Herengracht 386. The museum is closed on Monday.
Entrance is €8 if you buy a ticket online and €12 if you buy a ticket at the counter.
4. Museum Van Loon
The Amsterdam canal house Museum Van Loon is owned by the family Van Loon, an aristocratic family who bought the house in 1884.
The Van Loon family played many important administrative roles in Amsterdam. One of the ancestors co-founded the VOC (Dutch East Indies Company).
The family Van Loon actually still resides in the palace on the Keizersgracht, but is kind enough to open parts of the canal house to visitors.
Originally, the house was built by Adriaen Dortsman in 1672. The house is built on two plots.
Coach house at Museum Van Loon
The best feature of Museum Van Loon is the coach house. Like the canal house Geelvinck, a coachhouse was built in the garden.
However, at Keizersgracht, the inner gardens are not as large as the Herengracht and the coachhouse doesn’t go al the way to the Prinsengracht, but ends to a parallel street, backstreet, the Kerkstraat.
Couch houses or carriage houses were very common in the Golden Age, particularly behind canal houses.
Rich Amsterdam merchants preferred to be transported along the canals by carriage. As more people could afford a carriage, problems started to arise. With the streets being so narrow, parking was as much of a hassle as it is today.
Traffic jams in the 17th century
Traffic jams were a common sight in the city centre and the noise of the wooden wheels hitting the cobbled streets was unbearable. The city council hoped to people would use the sledding carriages instead, which made less noise and imposed heavy duties on people who dared to take the carriage with wheels out for a spin.
Whatever coach you had, it was necessary to have your own private coach house to park your carriage and feed the horses. Nowadays, all the Amsterdam coach houses have been transformed into offices and living quarters. You can still recognize an old coach house by its double doors.
Museum Van Loon’s coach house is the only coach house in Amsterdam that has been restored to its original state. The coach house at Van Loon’s even has original coaches and sometimes even horses on show.
Museum canal house Van Loon on Keizersgracht 672 is closed on Tuesday. Entrance is €8 for adults.
5. Museum Willet-Holthuysen
The Amsterdam canal house of Museum Willet-Holthuysen is another double house, located on Herengracht 602.
Originally, the house was built in 1687, but in 1740 it was thoroughly renovated. A new gable was added on the front facade, and a hallway and the staircase were constructed. In 1855, the house was renovated once more, this time by merchant daughter Louisa Holthuysen who inherited the house and married an art collector named Abraham Willet.
Luckily, Louisa left the entire property to the city of Amsterdam when she died, so the entire canal house can be visited.
Entering the museum, you might notice the heavily decorated door on ‘bel-etage’, in a luxurious Louis XIV-style. The entrance to the museum is on ground floor though, through the former servants entrance.
The interior design of this Amsterdam canal house can be quiet overwhelming. Especially the renovation that took place in 1740 left a mark. The sober and formal style of Dutch classicism had been thrown out the window and in came the French Louis XIV style with exuberant plaster moulding on the ceilings, wooden panelling and heavy marbling on the floors.
The house is the proud owner of one of the most outrageous staircases of Amsterdam. Centrepieces are three marble sculptures, depicting the verdict of Paris, lit up dramatically by the sun rays piercing through the dome above.
The ballroom dates back to the time of the family Willet-Holthuysen. Don’t forget to look up to admire the wonderful decorated ceiling. The tapestry and carpentry throughout the house is really amazing and were probably ordered in from Paris, like other features in the room.
In the 20th century, the museum decided to renovate the canal house, to bring it back to its ‘original state’ in the 17th and 18th century.
Among the many changes, some big and some small, an 18th century kitchen was built in the basement.
In 1973, a large 18th century styled garden was added.
Ironically, the museum has renewed its interest in the Willet-period and has uncovered some decorative features from that period. It’s even considering bringing some rooms back to the state of 1865.
Museum Willet-Holthuysen is open every day and costs €8 for adults.
Amsterdam 400 years canal celebration
To celebrate the 400 years existence of Amsterdam canal houses, many museums have special exhibits about the Amsterdam canal ring.
Booming Amsterdam – The origins of Amsterdam’s canal ring
The Amsterdam City Archives has put the original manuscripts and old maps on display that tell the story of the expansion of Amsterdam. Many of the maps were used by the city councillors at the time (around 1613) to plan the canal rings, thereby giving a unique insight in urban planning in the 17th century.
The exhibition takes place from February 15 until May 26 2013 at the Amsterdam City Archives. Entrance is €6 for adults. Closed on Mondays.
Canal stories – 400 years of life in the canal district
The Cromhout houses, Museum Geelvinck-Hinlopen, Our lord in the attic and Museum Willet-Holthuysen all have special presentations that highlight the personal lives of the people who have lived there.
From March 2013, a Canal Stories guide is available at the participating museums.
Amsterdam’s Canals – Drawings from the Royal Antiquarian Society of the Netherlands
Museum Rembrandthuis, the former residence of Holland’s most famous painter Rembrandt presents a series of drawings of the Amsterdam canals made by artists from the 17th to the 20th century.
The exhibition is set up as if the visitor is talking a gentle stroll from the outskirts of the city, with sunny landscapes, towards the centre of Amsterdam, represented by some more grim images of a poverty stricken inner city.
Next to each picture is photograph of the same spot taken in the 21st century, made by employees of the museum. This gives a remarkable idea as to how much the Amsterdam canals have changed over the centuries.
Along Amsterdam’s Canals – Drawings from the Royal Antiquarian Society of the Netherlands is found at the Rembrandt House Museum.
From 26 January – 26 May 2013.
Adriaan Dortsman 1635 – 1682 – The Ideal Canal
Museum Van Loon dedicates a special exhibition to Adrian Dortsman, the architect of the Van Loon house and many other Amsterdam canal houses. The museum tries to show how the house would have looked when Dortsman originally designed it.
From February 8 until June 9, 2013 at Museum Van Loon.