Christmas markets are famous in Germany and Belgium, but did you know there are some amazing Christmas markets in the Netherlands as well? Whether you are a fan of Dickens, caves or a luxurious estate, Holland has got the perfect market to fit your Christmas holiday. Here are the best Christmas Markets in the Netherlands.
Christmas Town Valkenburg
In between Germany and Belgium, lies the Dutch city of Valkenburg. It’s not just the only city in the Netherlands that comes with a mountain, but it also holds the best Christmas market in Europe! (It’s official!).
The reasons are obvious. Twice a week there is an amazing Christmas Parade and you can try out the best of this culinary capital of the Netherlands on the Route d’amuse tour. But, best of all, part of the Christmas market takes place underground, in caves! Image all those lights and decorated trees and thousands of stands, sand sculptures and miniature villages… this Christmas Market will take your breath away.
Christmas Town Valkenburg Information
- The general Christmas Market is open from 18 November 2022 until 8 January 2023.
- You need tickets for the special markets and events.
- Valkenburg is easy to reach by train from Germany and Belgium.
A Dickens Festival in Deventer
Which writer do we associate more with Christmas than Charles Dickens? If you love the characters of Dickens: in the Dutch city of Deventer they come alive! Volunteers play the roles of hundreds of characters from the famous British writer: Scrooge, Oliver Twist, orphaned children, drunkards, and many others. They wear over 700 beautiful costumes. Step back in time to the 19th century and head off to Deventer. The same weekend there are also many Christmas markets, concerts, and other activities.
Dickens Festival Information
- The Dickens Festival and the Deventer Christmas Market take place during one weekend: 10 and 11 December 2022. It’s very popular!
- Entrance is free.
Floating Christmas market of Leiden
Leiden is a wonderful city to visit. Even more so, around Christmas time. Go on a Christmas market boat tour. And stroll the nostalgic Christmas market. Every weekend there are special surprises around this town – the birthplace of Rembrandt van Rijn- the painter. Like the weekend of choirs on Sunday 18 December.
Christmas Market in Leiden Information
- The Winter Wonder Weeks of Leiden take place all December.
- Leiden is easy to reach by train. Amsterdam Airport Schiphol is 20 minutes away. Rotterdam The Hague Airport is 25 minutes away.
Christmas Market in Haarlem
Haarlem is Amsterdam’s neighbor. If you are spending Christmas in Amsterdam this year, hop over to Haarlem, it’s only 30 minutes away by train. The Christmas Market of Haarlem is one of the biggest in the Netherlands.
The main market takes place at the Botermarket, a large square. Expect also famous Christmas carols and taste craft beers at the Winter Beer Festival.
Christmas Market Haarlem Information
- The Christmas Market in Haarlem is on the weekend of 9, 10 and 11 December.
- Haarlem lies 20 minutes from Amsterdam by train.
Castle Christmas Fair at Estate Beeckenstein
Buitenplaats Beeckestein is a beautiful estate built for the rich Amsterdam merchants. It dates back to the 18th century. In 2022 Beeckestein is the romantic location for a Christmas fair. Especially beautiful is the garden, one of the most important historical gardens in the Netherlands. During the Christmas Fair there are also live musical performances.
Castle Christmas Fair Information
- The Castle Christmas Fair takes place from 17 til 20 November.
- The estate ‘Landgoed Beeckestein’ is near Amsterdam (about 25 minutes), but it is only to be reached by ar.